1) May never get to experience the amazing beauty of a coral reef or enjoy the incredible abundance of food, medicine, income, and protection they provide because by 2050, 70% of the world's coral reefs are expected to be destroyed, and all coral reefs could be gone by the end of the century. Disappearing Coral Reefs | Solutions
2) May never get to enjoy the seafood we enjoy today because already 90% of large predatory fish such as tuna, swordfish, and sharks are now gone, and by 2048, a study done by the Dalhousie University of Canada projects all the species that we fish today to be extinct. Overfishing | Solutions
3) May never get to explore the stunning diversity of life on Earth because scientists are warning that within a few decades, at least half of all plant and animal species on Earth will be extinct. According to the IPCC, direct climate change impacts alone will commit some 20-50% of species globally to extinction, possibly by 2100. Mass Extinction Crisis | Solutions
4) May be more vulnerable to diseases such as lyme disease, malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, plague, and avian influenza, or bird flu, which is poised to become more difficult to control and more widespread due to rising temperatures. Global Warming | Solutions
5) May never get to thrive in a stable climate because the world is now firmly on course for the worst-case scenario in terms of climate change, with average global temperatures rising by up to 6°C (11.5°F) by the end of the century. Global Warming | Solutions
George Tsiattalos is the creator and founder of Everything Connects.
The mission of Everything Connects is to inspire you, educate you, and empower you to make a difference in your life, for all life, and for the ecological foundations of life.